Thursday, March 5, 2009

San Diego

I’m still in San Diego – it is lovely here. Yesterday I took an Old Town Trolley tour of the city. The tour is a two-hour, narrated drive to major points of interest. What I really like about these tours is that you can get off and back on at different spots along the way. I got off at Seaport Village, an area on the waterfront that has a lovely boardwalk, one of kind shops and restaurants. The tour starts in the old town section of the city and I poked in the shops there when we got back. San Diego is only eight miles from the Mexican border so many of the shops were filled with bright colours and inexpensive goods of Mexico. I had an early supper on the deck of one of the owner-operated restaurants before heading back to the campground. No national chains in this part of town!

Today I’m tired after all the walking and I’m going to extend my stay at this campground for another night. I have “travelling chores” to do: get the propane and gas tanks filled, dump the waste tanks and fill the water tank with fresh water, find a car wash and wash the van, check the tire pressure, etc. That way I’ll be ready to leave tomorrow. It’s raining farther up the coast and I’m not in any rush to trade this sun for rain even though the thought of returning home is pulling me northward.

This morning I checked the internet for vacation apartment/condo listings and finding a place to spend the winter here would be doable. And there is so much to see and do in San Diego. But then, again, who knows lies farther up the coast…. I guess I’ll find out starting tomorrow.

No comments: