Friday, February 27, 2009

Palm Desert - A Jewel in the Mojave

It’s 3:20 pm and I’m watching the ducks waddle down the Golf Course. The shadows are just starting to lengthen over the manicured fairway in front of the patio. The weather is spectacular; the people are friendly. I’ve had a refreshing swim and a mid-afternoon snack to tide me over until we go out for hors d’oeuvres and drinks at 5 pm. We’re watching the Scotties Tournament of Hearts beamed to us via satellite from Victoria. In the morning we watch the early morning news from Calgary. Such is life at the Oasis Golf and Country Club in Palm Desert. I could spend winters here in a heartbeat.

Al and Shirley are gracious and welcoming hosts. Shirley and I are going to Joshua Tree National Monument on Sunday and now I plan to leave on Monday.

There are a lot of Calgarians here, too. In fact, when I stopped to pick up flowers and wine on my to Al and Shirley’s, standing behind me at the cashier’s line up was Ron Liepert, a man I worked with at Telus and who is now Alberta’s Health Minister. At the last RV Park my next door neighbours were from Braseside, about a ten minute drive from my home in Calgary. It is, indeed, a small world.

No comments: